1. Business Continuity Plan: Muntons plc has a fully tested Business Continuity Plan (BCP) in place. Specifically this covers loss of key staff due to illness. The BCP was successfully tested recently in a live scenario involving actual representatives of the Health and Safety Inspectorate, the Environment Agency, the Fire Service and commercial media. (television) companies. Our system was proven to be robust in handling the incident and in being ready to recover the business. It has been audited to the BS25999 standard.
2. Business Continuity Coordinator: We have assigned responsibility for Business Continuity Coordination permanently on site. For contact details please refer to the Manufacturing and Technical Director (details at foot of this notice).
3. Risk analysis review: In readiness for any impact of Swine Flu we have undertaken a comprehensive risk analysis and developed a plan of action for the loss of any key member of our staff and also the impact of losing varying percentages of other staff up to at least 50%. This plan looks at how we would redistribute staff internally, whether we could use outside staff, how much production we could continue to handle by changing shift patterns and many other variations. We have also considered our raw material supplies and our haulage network. All these items are being managed through our Business Continuity Plan.
4. Loss of Staff Procedure: Our Business Continuity Plan will allow us to continue operating even with significant staff losses as expected during the Swine Flu epidemic. Our staff are cross-trained and moving staff across business areas is our first response.
5. Medication: Using an external health provider we will make Tamiflu available to all our staff through prescription by their own doctor to further limit the recovery time.
6. Food Safety and Hygiene: Our sites already operate to strict food safety , hygiene and environmental standards through ISO22000; BRC Global Standard Food, ISO14001, Assured UK Malt. All these are regularly audited and in current compliance.
7. Surveying staff illness: Where our staff have close family members who contract the disease our normal procedures for isolation and working from home or not coming in to work will apply. This is in line with our existing ISO2200 and BRC Global Standard Food certification standards. On return to work after an infectious illness we require all staff to complete a questionnaire before starting work.
8. Communication systems will not be affected by this outbreak as working off-site or from home is already established practice. All communication systems are fully backed up and accessible off site. Internal meetings can already be handled by phone or video link. Over the previous 12 months we have heavily invested in improved remote communications.
9. External travel is limited to small numbers of staff in the normal course of business. If any staff travel to an area considered at high risk (not relevant to this outbreak in the present infection phase) we have a questionnaire that may result in isolation from work. This is also used for site visitors.
10. Updates: We routinely monitor Swine Flu updates locally , nationally and internationally If you require further information please contact Dr Nigel Davies using the information below
Dr. Nigel Davies
Manufacturing and Technical Director Muntons plc Mobile: +44 (0) 7786 336820 Direct: +44(0) 1449 618370