Brewing and New Product Development Technologist
Type: Permanent - Full Time
Hours: 37.5 h/w. Mon to Fri. Flexitime
Location: Stowmarket, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Muntons are the biggest malted ingredients manufacturer in the world, and in the top 20 malt producers in the UK. Our headquarters is in Stowmarket, Suffolk (where this role is based), and we have further production sites in Yorkshire and Thailand, as well as sales offices in Asia, Europe, and America. Our customers range from multinational food and beverage producers, to craft brewers and distillers. This gives an enviable variety to our work, and you will relish the chance to work with our enthusiastic teams to bring our pipeline of projects to fruition.
Innovation is at the heart of our growth strategy. As a pro-active NPD Technologist, passionate about brewing, home brewing and able to demonstrate a strong technical knowledge, you will be excited by this unique opportunity to help shape and progress our innovation plans for the future and support our customers to help us remain the most enjoyable maltster to work with.
You will be directly responsible to our NPD Manager. Based in our impressive technical facility, the ‘Centre for Excellence’, you will be the lead technologist for homebrew and have a big part to play in brewing and distilling development and support.
Key roles will include:
- Offering technical support to our valued customers, including multinational breweries, craft brewers and distillers and home brewing consumers.
- Playing an instrumental role in the progression of homebrew and ingredient innovation projects, from bench development to overseeing factory trials and launch.
- Take ownership for the smooth running of our 1HL micro brewery.
- Contribute to the innovation pipeline, by pro-actively providing ideas and supporting the team with project progression.
As a company Muntons has a lot of ambition. We want to “deliver enjoyment to people’s lives by creating more of what they love”. In 2019 we embarked upon an impressive investment phase to increase our capacity, portfolio and to continue raising the bar as the leaders of sustainability in our field. We need someone that will harness that drive & energy. Located in the bucolic surroundings of the Suffolk countryside, we pride ourselves on being an enjoyable company to work with & for and we look forward to welcoming a new NPD Technologist to our friendly team.
- Be the lead development technologist for homebrew, support our senior brewing technologist for brewing and distilling, helping drive exciting innovation in these areas.
- Develop new products (B2B ingredients and home brew retail products) to a high standard, from bench scale to first production, according to ISO procedures and meeting provided deadlines. Includes all aspects from experimental bench work through to completion of technical documents and checking of homebrew artwork.
- Actively seek technical advancement, able to contribute ideas to the innovation pipeline, and help the team bring innovation projects to life.
- To be the ‘go-to’ person for technical aspects of brewing, distilling and home brewing.
- Support brewers and distillers with technical advice and recipe creation using Muntons malts and ingredients. This will take the form of remote discussions, or in person support of brewers at Muntons or at the customer site.
- Support of home brew consumers with technical enquiries by e-mail or phone.
- Take ownership of the maintenance and safe running of Muntons 1HL micro-brewery. This includes cleaning, maintenance requests to the on-site engineering team, and accompanying visitors on site to utilise the brewery. It is vital that all procedures are followed, ensuring safe operation of the facility.
- Work closely with the marketing team to create and deliver presentations to Muntons and external staff. Topics may include anything from technical information about new products to general seminars covering brewing topics.
- Assist with factory trials, ensuring raw materials are ordered, requirements are clearly communicated, and results are reported following established procedures.
- Play a key role in the running of Muntons Centre for Excellence, ensuring all areas are presented in an ordered, professional manner, and equipment is maintained by the on-site engineering team.
- Play a part in technical aspects of food development and innovation projects, supporting the team in getting great products to market, meeting required deadlines.
- An advanced qualification in food or brewing science
- Experience in a development/brewing work environment
- Energy, drive & passion; We’re looking for someone pro-active, who enjoys making their mark on the category and wants the opportunity to do so in an agile, open environment.
- Target Driven & Results focused; You will be passionate about offering great technical support and developing world class leading innovative new products, which will help us meet our financial goals.
- Creative thought & problem solving; You will be expected to contribute ideas to our innovation pipeline and will need to explore technical solutions to issues uncovered through new product development.
- Collaboration & relationship building skills; Build and leverage relationships to secure buy in & drive projects to completion. A real team player, happy to support colleagues as required.
- Methodical: Able to follow processes in place, meticulous when keeping notes and labelling samples, able to prioritise projects effectively, seeking advice when needed.
- Inquisitive: Has a drive to discover what’s happening in the brewing and distilling industry, and a desire to use this knowledge to progress projects or contribute ideas to the pipeline.
- Listening and Learning; Able to learn quickly from Muntons personnel and use the knowledge to help develop superb new products.
- Competent Microsoft Office user
Hours of Work: Core hours of 8.30am-5pm, Monday to Friday. Flexible working. Some national/international travel may be required.
Closing Date: Friday, 21st May 2021apply for this vacancy
Operations Manager - Malted Ingredients Production
Type: Permanent - Full Time
Hours: Average of 37.5 h/w
Location: Stowmarket, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Muntons is the biggest malted ingredients manufacturer in the world and the top 20 malt producers in the UK. With headquarters in the bucolic surroundings of Stowmarket, Suffolk (where you will be based), we also have further production sites in Yorkshire and Thailand, as well as sales offices in Asia, Europe, and America. We develop ingredients for the world’s best known and loved brands in the food and drink industry. And our customers range from multinational food and beverage producers to craft brewers and distillers.
As an experienced Operations Manager who’s passionate about customers and business development, you’ll be ready to step up to the challenge of being the next in command to the Production Director. You’ll have evidence of continuous improvement management methodologies, strong leadership, and outstanding communication skills, allowing you to lead and direct the ingredients production team to achieve ambitious goals, working across all levels of the business and its departments. Highly motivated and keen to build relationships to influence the shape of the future of malted ingredients production at Muntons and critically, hold a strong “can-do” attitude; one of which is ready to get involved with all aspects of the production process. This position may include the opportunity for the right candidate to progress into a higher role within the business.
As a company, we have a lot of ambition. We want to “deliver enjoyment to people’s lives by creating more of what they love”. In 2019 we embarked upon an impressive investment phase to increase our capacity, portfolio and to continue raising the bar as the leaders of sustainability in our field. We need someone who will harness that drive and energy. We pride ourselves on being an enjoyable company to work for and with and we look forward to welcoming a new Operations Manager to the Muntons family.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Drive the team and look for continuous improvements to deliver on challenging volume requirements within cost parameters
- Monitor and control key business performance indicators to promote sustainable business operations
- Strategize a plan to produce malted ingredients and therefore taking it to the next level
- Continuously develop the structure and efficient allocation of resources within the team and develop the technical competencies as appropriate
- Maintain and develop cross functional relationships to drive efficiency of the process
- Monitor and control budgeted costs for the cost centres associated with malted ingredients production
- Lead adherence to health, safety and environment control
- Maintenance of compliance standards including hygiene, quality and food safety.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- At least five years’ production management experience in a FMCG environment
- Energy, drive and passion: Demonstrate a relentless, continuous improvement mentality and ask yourself the question every day “What can we do better?” Ability to challenge and support the wider team to deliver the results required.
- Target driven and results focused: Excellent organisational ability to facilitate project completion timescales, drive production goals. Ability to absorb and interpret business data to inform proper actions and change.
- Creative thought and problem solving: With a wide and varied operation facility and a variable raw material, the role will need you to think on your feet daily. An ability to think creatively for solutions to challenges that arise will be a critical aspect of the role.
- Collaboration and relationship-building skills: Ability to engender good team spirit and enthuse the team to higher standards of production and technical excellence. An excellent motivator, with experience and willingness to work with a large department, who share varying levels of experience and knowledge of production.
- Tenacious: Relentlessly progress the vision and overcome inertia or barriers that may exist culturally, driving change within the business and take it to the next level.
Closing Date: Friday, 11th June 2021apply for this vacancy
The Company’s production processes operate in accordance with BRC Food Factory hygiene requirements. As such, all jewellery including rings, chains, watches, earrings or body piercings etc. are prohibited from being worn in any production, packing or despatch areas of the factory. Additionally protective equipment including hair nets and if appropriate beard snoods are required to be worn in these areas.
The Company also operates a complete ban on smoking in any building, site or vehicle owned or controlled by the Company and takes a zero tolerance approach to breaches of this policy. Equally the Company does not permit the use of electronic cigarettes or nicotine inhaler devices. Most shifts are of 8 or 12 hour duration with little or no opportunity to leave site during the working day. If you smoke and cannot abstain from smoking for this period of time, please carefully consider the appropriateness of any application you make for employment with us.
If you require any further information please email: email@example.com